notes on javascript, linux, and more

4.28.2008

Samsung SGH-T509, T-Mobile GPRS, Bluetooth DUN on a Debian GNU/Linux Laptop

My Setup:
  • Asus EeePC with Debian GNU/Linux Lenny/Sid, custom real-time patched 2.6.23 kernel
  • Bluetooth enabled T-Mobile Samsung SGH-T509
  • Zoom USB bluetooth adapter
  • GPRS Internet (T-MobileWeb aka T-zones)
  • installed packages: bluetooth ppp gnome-ppp
Technically speaking, any Bluetooth phone with DUN support should work, but the breadth of hackery here is in the details. For instance, with my phone, doing a scan with 'hcitool scan' produced no results for my t509, although it should have. Once I successfully paired my phone and laptop, I found my DUN channel mostly through guesswork (its on channel 1). The only reliable way I was able to get my phone to dial was by using a patched version of gnome-ppp for ubuntu, run as the root user.

Googling around turned up Using the Palm Treo 650 with Debian GNU/Linux and Modem Script for Samsung t509. Looking through scripts on those pages, I was able to piece together the initialization strings I needed to open a GPRS connection.

My /root/.wvdial.conf is as follows:


[Dialer Defaults]
Modem = /dev/rfcomm0
ISDN = off
Modem Type = USB Modem
Baud = 115200
Init = ATX3
Init2 = AT
Init3 = ATQ0 V1 E1 S0=0 &C1 &D2 +FCLASS=0
Init4 = AT&K3
Init5 = AT+CGDCONT=1,"IP","WAP.VOICESTREAM.COM"
Init6 =
Init7 =
Init8 =
Init9 =
Phone = *99***1#
Phone1 =
Phone2 =
Phone3 =
Phone4 =
Dial Prefix =
Dial Attempts = 1
Dial Command = ATM1L3DT
Ask Password = off
Password = guest
Username = guest
Auto Reconnect = off
Abort on Busy = off
Carrier Check = off
Check Def Route = off
Abort on No Dialtone = off
Stupid Mode = on
Idle Seconds = 0
Auto DNS = on
;Minimize = off
;Dock = on
;Do NOT edit this file by hand!


To connect just create a menu entry for 'gksudo gnome-ppp' and you should be all set. You will need to use a web proxy to surf the web, and most ports are blocked. Still, it is useful to have internet wherever you have cell phone coverage. T-Mobile has a proxy you can use, google around. If you don't have a /dev/rfcomm0, this may help: http://pratyeka.org/rfcomm/

References:

http://howtoforge.com/connecting-gprs-from-ubuntu-gutsy
http://easyconnect.linuxuser.hu/

2 comments:

martha said...

I recently came accross your blog and have been reading along. I thought I would leave my first comment. I dont know what to say except that I have enjoyed reading. Nice blog. I will keep visiting this blog very often.


Susan

http://8080proxy.com

Anonymous said...

К слову, лучший способ обезопасить человека от шпионских жучков - купить Подавитель связи

About Me

My photo
chicago, il, United States
I'm a software engineer by profession.

Labels